Asthma Action Plan
Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America Asthma Action Plan
Asthma Emergency Plan
- Have the staff member/student stop all activity and notify the nurse.
- Do not send the staff member/student to the clinic without an escort
- The staff member/student should sit in an upright position with legs crossed at the ankles and elbows on knees (tripod position). This will help relax the shoulders and may help them breathe more easily.
- The staff member/student should use prescribed medication/inhaler/nebulizer, if prescribed by a physician.
- Offer room temperature water and encourage pursed lip breathing
- Activate EMS (911) system if medication and/or breathing techniques are not effective within 5 minutes or if symptoms worsen (cyanotic/blue appearance, altered level of consciousness……..
- Apply oxygen if the above symptoms are seen. The flow rate of 2L for any student below 8th grade, and 3L to 4L for high school age students. Middle school students may vary due to size.
- Notify parent/guardian/next of kin